The inception of Second Liberty Baptist Church dates back to 1866, one year after the 13th Amendment of the United States Constitution legally abolished slavery. During this time, Blacks who lived in the St. Peters’ District of New Kent were required to worship at Emmaus Baptist Church. Blacks were restricted to the balcony, which was common at that time. Our journey actually begins in 1865 when, some of the Black members listed on Emmaus’ church roll and others who had moved from Charles City County, started a house to house prayer band. SLBC continues to be a beacon of hope in the New Kent Community and beyond.